Saturday, October 1, 2016 - 13:00
A workshop was organized by the Institute of Public Health Nutrition (IPHN) and Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation (BBF) with the financial support from UNICEF at Hotel Lake Castle in 1st October, 2016 on BMS Act 2013. The workshop aimed to identify the clauses of Breast-milk Substitutes, Infant Foods, Commercially Manufactured Complementary Foods and the Accessories Thereof (Regulation of Marketing) Act, 2013 for taking action where bylaws are not in place and review of the law with regard to its strengths and challenges of enforcement and implementation to recommend effective method of implementation.
Mr. Md. Abdul Malek, Joint secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare was presented as the Chief Guest of the workshop and experienced lawyers from different district and divisional level were attended the workshop. The work shop was divided into four segments e.g. welcome note and presentation of objectives, brief on BMS Act 2013 and present scenario of violation, open discussion of the lawyers in accordance to the objective and finally summarization of the workshop.
The following are the brief of the open discussion of the workshop.
- Some clauses (5, 8, 9, 10 & 11) of BMS Act 2013 need bylaws for law enforcement and implementation.
- Clause no 4 of the BMS Act 2013 can be implemented without bylaws.
- The lawyers proposed to initiate the application of the existing bylaws from the Ordinance, 1984 for different clauses (especially clause 4) of the BMS Act 2013.
- According to clause 16 and 17 of the BMS Act 2013, there are two option of enforcement to take action against the violation. The first one is taking the help of the mobile court and the second one is conventional court or traditional criminal court. But, once have selected one option another would not applicable for the same offence.
- Regarding the enforcement of the law, once any offence have been identified in the society the Director of the IPHN or any authorized person by the director could enter into the sites where the violation is taking place and search for the BMS goods and accessories. In addition, the director or the authorized person could submit a written complain to the nearest police station for seizing.
- The Director, IPHN or any authorized person by the director could give a Legal Notice to the accused person through a lawyer.
- The power of seizing, inspection and monitoring for any prohibited BMS product by the Director, IPHN and any authorized person is very effective measure for the implementation of BMS Act 2013. The section could be added by an amendment to strengthen the power of the law.
- To work with the eixting, law some vital clauses (5, 8, 9, 10 & 11) of BMS Act 2013 could be segregated for formulating bylaws on urgent basis.
- The consumers & stakeholders needs to be sensitized on BMS Act 2013 and the type of action could be taken against its violation.
- There exists some serious lacuna in the law regarding the process of registration of BMS products and action against professional conspiracy or corruption.
- The BMS Act 2013 and its different clauses have some contradiction and loopholes so the law could be approach for review.
Event Date: Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 09:00
BBF Board of Trustees Election 2018-2019 /sites/default/files/Nomination%20Form%202018-2019.pdf /sites/default/files/Membership%20List%202018-2019%20PDF_0.pdf /sites/default/files/Schedule%20of%20election%202018-2019_0.pdf
Event Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:45
A meeting on "National consultation on Micronutrient Nutrition" was held on 20th December, 2016 at 1.30 pm in the Conference room (1st floor) Institute of Public Health (IPH), Mohakhali, Dhaka. The Chief Guest of this meeting was Madam Roxana Quader, Additional Secretary (PH & WHO), Ministry...
Event Date: Thursday, October 6, 2016 - 12:30
Institute of Public Health Nutrition (IPHN) and Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation (BBF) with the technical and financial support from UNICEF have organized a stakeholder meeting at 6th October 2016 in CIRDAP Conference Centre for the sake of discussing the field testing plan for Net Code...
Workshop to identify the clauses of BMS ACT 2013 to take legal action against the violation of BMS ACT pending Bylaws
Event Date: Saturday, October 1, 2016 - 13:00
A workshop was organized by the Institute of Public Health Nutrition (IPHN) and Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation (BBF) with the financial support from UNICEF at Hotel Lake Castle in 1st October, 2016 on BMS Act 2013. The workshop aimed to identify the clauses of Breast-milk Substitutes, Infant...
Event Date: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 14:30
A ‘Pulse Recipe Competition and Exhibition’ was organized by SAARC Agriculture Centre in collaboration with FAO-Bangladesh on 8th December 2016 in BARC campus. In the competition, BBF submitted Buter Halwa and Pusti gura recipes in two pulse category namely Chickpea and Mung accordingly. A...
Event Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 10:00
Dissemination seminar on "Barriers of valid dose of immunization among children aged 12 months in the selected urban area of Dhaka City Corporation" A Dissemination Seminar on "Barriers of valid dose of immunization among children aged 12 in the selected urban area of Dhaka City Corporation” was...
Tuesday, December 8, 2015 - 10:00 to Friday, December 11, 2015 - 05:00
Nutrition policy & food security at Nepal .
Event Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 - 10:00
World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative (WBTi) developed by IBFAN Asia, to assess the status and benchmark the progress of the implementation of the Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding at national level of more than 100 countries. WBTi is designed to assist countries in assessing the...
Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:00 to Friday, November 27, 2015 - 18:00
The C O D E X A L I M E N T A R I U S international food standards, guidelines and codes of practice contribute to the safety, quality and fairness of this international food trade. Consumers can trust the safety and quality of the food products they buy and importers can trust that the food they...
Monday, November 2, 2015 - 10:00 to Thursday, November 5, 2015 - 05:00
The International Baby Food Action Network – Asia (IBFAN Asia) hosts this Forum every year in one of the countries of Asia. Participants in the Forum include Government Policy makers, IBFAN representatives, Breastfeeding advocates, UN agencies and other partners. The process started with the first...
Event Date: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 12:30
Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation (BBF) is going to conduct a training entitled “IYCF and Hygiene Training for Health Service Providers of Smiling Sun Network Clinics” which is supported by FHI 360/Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance III Project (FANTA) in four division- Dhaka, Khulna, Sylhet...