Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation is working with Government of Bangladesh for protection, promotion and support breastfeeding since 1989. BBF is actively involved in disseminating the correct message of breastfeeding to motivate the people using mass media.
Breastfeeding has many health benefits for both the mother and infant. Breast milk contains all the nutrients an infant needs in the first six months of life. Breastfeeding protects against diarrhea and common childhood illnesses such as pneumonia, and may also have longer-term health benefits for the mother and child, such as reducing the risk of overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence. Infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health.
- If media advertisement on hazards of BMS feeding is publicized 3 times daily 5 days a week for 2 months then a large population will watch the advertisement frequently and their awareness will increase.
- If the advertisement of telecast on BTV and Radio is done during peak hours and for longer time, it will reach maximum people.
- People will know that BMS is not usual feed. Social leaders will know what is wrong for BMS promotion.
Television telecasts are strong means of communication. Multiple communication channels matched to media habits can reach a substantial proportion of mothers and others who influence their IYCF practices. Television networks in Bangladesh have a potential coverage of about 97 percent of the country’s population. Besides education and entertainment, its mandate is to ensure the equitable dissemination of information to the mass people. Therefore, TV spots on complementary feeding in different TV channels can act as a strong influential tool in rapidly reaching mothers, household members, community influential’s, and health workers on a large scale toward improved Breastfeeding practices. None of the organization promotes Benefits of breast milk and hazards of BMS in Bangladesh. As it will reduce the sates and promotion of BMS, that’s why it is needed to lead the campaign against the BMS companies.
Target audience for media exposure
1. Household level: All people
2. Community Level: Social influential – village doctor, religious leader, adolescent, School teachers & peoples representatives.